Re: Sound card noise on Lenny amd64

Jose Perez schreef:
Hi people:

I have a Debian Lenny amd64 (up to date) running on a MSI K9A2 Neo2
mainboard. I have sound working without problems when suddenly some
day started to sound badly: I hear a continuous noise like a
'shhhhhhhhhhh' (sorry if it seems funny but i don't know how to
explain this).

This noise happens always on Linux and I have tested against:

- Rebooting
- Disabling/enabling arts
- Turning on/off aplications sound applications (amarok, kmix, kaffeine, etc)
- Removing alsa-utils & alsa-base
- Changing speakers and headsets
- When increase os volume (with aumix) the noise get worse, like
something burning up
- When booting my Linux box (at some point of init scripts) the noise
get started
- When halting my Linux box (at some pooint of shutdown init scripts)
the noise disappears
- There's no noise at BIOS or GRUB booting time
I remember having experienced something similar quite some time ago. I think it was related by having some mic-channel open or whatever. It looks like something is picking up the output signal and feeds it back to an input again. Anyway, I think I solved it by muting that channel. Can you try (eg. using alsamixer) to mute and unmute every channel, and see if muting one of those solves your issue.
Hope this helps. If not, I have no idea what's the problem.

Sjoerd