Re: OT question about sound cards/chip-sets and high-end music systems

H.S. wrote:
Rob Owens wrote:
On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 08:06:51PM +0200, Johannes Wiedersich wrote:
Certainly not. At best it is equally bad. (On the other hand, apparently
most people don't mind listening to music at low sound quality).
YMMV.
I use *professional* grade sound cards, because I like good sound quality.

Can you recommend a professional sound card?

Not sure if this is professional grade, but I have used M-audio 2496
(http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Audiophile2496.html). It has
worked like a charm. Used it for live music recording and also for
playback via a mixer. The system is Ubuntu based, but should have no
problem in Debian either.

Good luck.

hi johannes (if you read this):

...interesting!

do you happen to know if ALSA can initialize the chip of M-audio 2496? and, what is the code of the chip of this card?

regards,

steef