Re: Iceape video problem

On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 03:20:49PM +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 09, 2009 at 13:57:41 -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:

> [...]
>
> > > Java is not involved in playing Youtube videos.

> > > Neither are stand-alone video players.

> > > You need the flash plugin. Install the flashplugin-nonfree package
> > > and it should work.
> > >
> > flashplugin-nonfree is already the newest verion.
>
> I think you should check if iceape actually uses the correct plugin (and
> not some outdated file that was left behind during an earlier attempt to
> get flash working, for example).
>
> Here is how to do that (for iceweasel, I hope it also works for iceape):

Ah-ha! Found the difference.  The listing for Shockwave Flash is
identical to that shown below except for the entry for the File Name:

For the system that doen't play videos: npwrapper.libflashplayer.so

For the system that plays videos: libflashplayer.so

I deleted all the npwrapper entries in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins and
added a symbolic link to /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/libflashplayer.so.
Now the iceape browser plays youtube videos.  All OK.

iceape is apparently different from iceweasel - I cannot find any
about:config.  In preferences/helper applications there is a box "Always
use the Netscape Plug-In Finder Service (PFS) to get plugins"  This box
has always been checked.  In the top menu bar the pull down from Help
includes an item About Plug-ins.