Re: How much RAM can debian support?

Dean Chester put forth on 10/9/2009 3:44 PM:
> Hi
> I'm moving to a Macbook soon(staying with debian tho:p) and apple keep
> advertising that snow leopard can support 16 exobytes of RAM. Im just
> wondering how much can 64-bit debian support?
> Thanks in advance
> Dean

You've got other constraints to worry about other than theoretical 64
bit CPU/OS maximums.  Fist is power, second is space.  You'll be hard
pressed to find a laptop/notebook/whatever that will accept more than
8GB worth of SODIMMs any time soon, from any vendor.  In another couple
of years you may see laptops supporting up to 16GB as RAM manufacturers
move to smaller transistor geometries.

--
Stan