Re: Back up routines

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 12:19:36PM -0400, Scott Gifford wrote:
> Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:

[snip]

> Perfectly true in theory, but in practice very few small businesses
> and nonprofits I'm worked with do this.  If an organization is large
> enough that there is an IT person to assign this responsibility to,
> it's workable, but in a small organization where IT is done by
> contractors, random staffers, or the owner/executive director, nobody
> really thinks much about the computers as long as they work, and
> routine maintenance like this falls through the cracks.
>
> Anything that can do secure backups automatically is a good idea IMO.
friend of mine who looks after a few business has setup a rdiff server
offsite to the business and rdiff-backups across the internet, charges
them a small fee.  Can get a physical access to the backup data for easy
restore.

see as his business is contracted todo the backup restore seems okay.

he has a few a adsl connections and using raid5 (or raid6).  there could
be more redundance but for the cost if fits most companys needs

--
"They have miscalculated me as a leader."

	- George W. Bush
09/13/2000
Westminster, CA