Dual head config

Hi,

I am using debian lenny in my Dell 640m Laptop. When I connect my
Samsung HDTV to the VGA output, I need to restart the X . And as soon
as I restart X, the display doesn't look normal in my Laptop but it is
great in the TV. How do i fix this? I want to run both display in the
normal resolution and good quality. In addition, right now my laptop
display is being mirrored to the TV. So what do I need to do so that
the display get extended rather than mirroring.

Thanks!
Paras.