Re: Debian preseed errors with DHCP and network parameters

On Sat, 2009-10-03 at 23:51 +0200, Josep M. wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I have a preseed file, all runs ok, except install network manually,
> always install DHCP, I have disabled DHCP and debconf is well
> configured, I have four problems :
>
> 1 - For install network without enable dhcp I must write when boot:
>
> netcfg/disable_dhcp=true preseed/url=ftp://192.168.x.x/preseed.cfg
>
> 2 - I must enter network info manually, all network info in preseed.cfg
> is not used

Chicken and egg problem... to fetch the preseed file, your system needs
an IP address (which can be obtained by DHCP, or manually specified on
the command line).

I suppose that in most case, the server are netboot'ed using DHCP, to
perform the installation, then the computer is configured to use static
IP address (using the preseed file???). Of course, the DHCP could be
have MAC<->IP address reservation.

BTW, If you go for DHCP you might want to have a look at the
"auto-install/enable=true" command line.

Regards,

Franklin