Re: Redirect internet connection to wireless router (was: Sharing ppp [...])

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 3:00 PM,  <joe@jretrading.com> wrote:
> Vinicius Massuchetto wrote:

[...]

>> So, I was wondering if I get a standard wireless router and feed it
>> with an internet connection from the laptop, configuring my computer
>> as a dhcp server.
>>
>> Would that work? Did anyone already tried this?
>>
> Probably, but it may depend on the router. The Netgear DG834 will do it, I'm
> currently using two with an MS Small Business Server, which is handling DHCP
> for the network. A third router on the network is actually the Internet
> gateway, as the customer is now on ADSL2+ and the version of DG834 that they
> have doesn't do that.

I can't seem to find the Netgear model you recommended on my city.
This one seems to be a good option for me:

 You-Link 54Mbps 802.11g Wireless G Router LAN
- Static & Dynamic Routing With TCP/IP VPN
- pass-through(IPS ec,L2TP),NAT,PPTP
- PPPoe,DHCP(client & server)
- Function: Automatically detects your ISP type,Exposed
Host(DMZ),MACaddress authentication,URL content filtering,logs and
e-mail alerts of Internet activity
- Modulation Type:PFDM with BPSK,QPSK,16QAM,64QAM,DBPSK,DQPSK,CCK
- Firewall:Stateful packet Inspection(SPI) and Dos attack protection
- Encryption:64,128-bit WEP Encryption,WEP-PSK

I suppose its features are enough for this sharing operation. Is there
any other important specification?

> Wireless routers do generally have DHCP servers, though you may want to have
> a different machine do it for some reason, such as automatic DNS
> integration. With MS SBS, it is strongly advised that the SBS handles DHCP,
> mostly for this reason.

That's the case of my ppp connection.

Thanks for helping.
Vinicius