Re: CUPS: "/usr/lib/cups/filter/pstoraster failed"

On Fri, Oct 02, 2009 at 13:23:05 -0700, Mollie McGee wrote:
> Florian,
>
> The user is in both lp and lpadmin groups, but I configure the printer as root.

That should be OK, then. (I was a bit puzzled about the "...
Unauthorized" messages in your cups log.)

> It's quite likely I have something mixed up - the system is 15 years
> old and I've ran into several problems over the years. Nothing this
> unsurmountable though. I'm really stuck.
>
> The output you requested:
>
> # dpkg -l cups\* libcups\* ghostscript\* libgs? gs-\* | awk '/^i/{print $1,$2,$3}'
>
> ii cups 1.3.8-1lenny4.1
> ii cups-bsd 1.3.8-1lenny4.1
> ii cups-client 1.3.8-1lenny4.1
> ii cups-common 1.3.8-1lenny4.1
> ii cups-driver-gutenprint 5.0.2-4
> ii cupsys 1.3.8-1lenny4.1
> ii cupsys-bsd 1.3.8-1lenny4.1
> ii cupsys-client 1.3.8-1lenny4.1
> ii cupsys-common 1.3.8-1lenny4.1
> ii ghostscript-x 8.62.dfsg.1-3.2lenny0
> ii gs-common 8.62.dfsg.1-3.2lenny0
> ii libcups2 1.3.8-1lenny4.1
> ii libcupsimage2 1.3.8-1lenny4.1
> ii libcupsys2 1.3.8-1+lenny6
> ii libgs8 8.62.dfsg.1-3.2lenny0

I think your main problem is that the ghostscript package itself is
missing, which contains /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstoraster on Lenny.

Two more (minor) things:

- I think it would be better to upgrade the cups* and libcups2 packages
  to their current Lenny versions (1.3.8-1+lenny6). Likewise, the
  gostscript*, gs-common, and libgs8 packages should be at version
  8.62.dfsg.1-3.2lenny1.

- The cupsys* and libcupsys2 packages are dummy packages on Lenny, whose
  only pupose is to ease the transition to cups*/libcups2. It should be
  safe to remove the dummy packages if you care about having a cleaner
  system with less cruft.

          Florian   |