xemacs crash caused by near-simultaneous keystrokes

On a recent Debian Lenny installation on an amd64 system, Xemacs
crashes constantly.

The crashes appear to be caused by the near-simultaneous pressing of
two keys.  I am able to avoid crashing Xemacs only if I type very
slowly and carefully so as to hit only one key at a time.

This is not a problem on an i386 system running Etch.  The amd64 is
the only machine I have running Lenny.  I never have run Etch on the
amd64 machine.

RLH