Re: What is the preferred way to install packages from testing/unstable in stable?

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 8:57 AM, martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> wrote:

> By the way, even though one can mix testing and unstable, I suggest
> to avoid that. http://backports.org contains packages backported
> from testing and compiled for the stable distribution, which
> integrate better with the system and are well supported (though
> unofficial).
>
> It's also rather easy to create backports yourself, using a chroot
> build environment. However, then you'll have to worry about security
> updates yourself.
>
> --
>  .''`.   martin f. krafft <madduck@d.o>      Related projects:

Thanks for the answer. And what about downloading an occasional
package from packages.debian.org? (like the latest swfdec) is this
more preferable then apt-pinning? With building your own backport you
mean using apt-get source in a testing/unstable chroot to build a
stable package? Do you happen to know where I can' find more info
about this process?