Re: Debian's glacial movement--a rant

Freddy Freeloader wrote:

> Just an update on this. I have asked on #gnucash if the patch for this
> bug can be backported to 2.2.6 upstream and they say this is a Debian
> problem as it is fixed in Gnucash. They will not do anything to help.
>
> Here's the short conversation from #gnucash.
>
> * Now talking on #gnucash
> * Topic for #gnucash is: Free GPL Personal and Small Business Accounting
> || Please don't ask to ask, just ask and wait! || publically-logged
> channel || latest stable: 2.2.9
> * Topic for #gnucash set by jsled at Wed May 6 07:46:39 2009
> <garyk> Is it possible to have the patch for bug #564928 backported to
> 2.2.6? I have all my business records in gnucash and this bug crashes
> gnucash every time I start it. I run Debian and who knows how long it
> will take for Debian to catch up. Right now they are almost a year
> behind in version numbers.
> * twunder (~twunder@pool-96-234-154-75.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net) has
> joined #gnucash
> * warlord-afk is now known as warlord
> <warlord> garyk: you need to ask that of Debian. The GnuCash releases
> dont have the bug.
> * warlord is now known as warlord-afk
> <garyk> The Debian devs say it needs to be done upstream as they
> won't/can't backport the patch. That's why I asked here.
>

> This looks to be the classic answer given by my stepkids when they were
> growing up and didn't want to take responsibility for anything: Who's
> responsible? Not me..... Not me was responsible for everything done
> wrong in our house for a couple of years. I didn't know one person could
> get into that much mischief all their own. ;)
>
> Gnucash version 2.2.6 was released July 31, 2008. The fixed version of
> Gnucash, 2.2.9 was released February 4, 2009. It's now May 11, 2009 and
> counting. The patch for this critical bug was released 3 months ago and
> nothing has been done. It's now 5 weeks since I was told I was being a
> jerk for saying Debian was slow in moving on this as they were 3
> versions, and 9 months, behind. Well, Debian is now 3 versions and 10
> months behind, and the patch has been available for 120+ days while the
> bug has been archived in Debian since the day after it was reported.
>
> It couldn't be that this critical bug just isn't on anyone's list of
> priorities could it?

There were a couple of suggestions made a while back. Just curious, did you try
any of those?

One was to build a patched version of Gnucash yourself, with a patch supplied
by Florian Kulzer along with detailed instrucions on how to build.

Another was to contact Debian backports and ask if anyone there would build a
deb for you.