OT: Need Printer Reset Command

Occasionally something in a .ps document fails to translate (gs?) into a
printable document and my printers then spit out hundreds of pages each
containing one line of jibberish.

It does no good to clear the print queue, to turn the printer on and off
or even to re-boot the system.  After all this the printer error light
keeps blinking and, if more paper is inserted, the printer resumes
printing pages each containing one line of jibberish.

I suppose the printer's memory is filled with instructions that cause
this and any command, if it exists, might be specific the make/brand of
the printer.  I have encounter the problem with my Brother HL-730 laser
printer and my HP Deskjet 940c.

The only solution I have found is the refeed the pages until the memory
runs out.  Then I print the offending document to a file, open it with the
gimp and then print the gimp image.

I hope there is a better way.

Tom