Re: Exim4 with a Goddady account

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 06:08:10 -0600, Nate Bargmann (n0nb@n0nb.us) wrote:

> * Bob Cox <debian-user@lists.bobcox.com> [2009 Jan 22 02:59 -0600]:
> > Are you sure this is an exim-specific problem?  I know little about
> > exim, using postfix for my servers which talk to the outside world, but
> > this line:
> >
> > "553 Sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts"
> >
> > .. means that smtp.starfieldtech.com will not relay for you.  Just
> > because the error comes immediately after RCPT TO does not mean that
> > n0nb@n0nb.us is what starfieldtech is objecting to.  You have an empty
> > MAIL FROM - is that the problem?  (You also have a non-resolving EHLO,
> > but that probably does not matter).
>
> Well, I re-enabled esmtp as my MTA in Mutt and it works splendidly with
> a very simple config file--four lines.  There are some compromises such
> as no delivery of local mail and Mutt has to wait until the SMTP
> transaction is complete.  Also my muttrc has the following line:
>
> my_hdr From: Nate Bargmann <n0nb@n0nb.us>
>
> So, if Exim isn't showing a proper "From:" line, then I'd say Exim is
> broken.

But this is failing at the SMTP envelope stage, before the "From:" line
is sent.  The "From:" line is sent as part of the DATA.  What you seem
to lacking is the MAIL FROM (which should probably be the same as From:
but not necessarily so).

> Perhaps I ought to check out Postfix and cut my losses on Exim4.

I have used Postfix for years (I have a static IP etc and send and
receive direct-to-mx) but no doubt exim would do the job just as well
and as it's the Debian default it really should have more support
available on this list.

> Ham radio,

73 de G4AEL

--
Bob Cox.  Stoke Gifford, near Bristol, UK.
Please reply to the list only.  Do NOT send copies directly to me.