Re: New to Linux

On Monday 05 January 2009, Martin, Larry D wrote:
> I have downloaded the Debian 40r5 for S390 and have it on CD.
>

> When I load the CD into the HMC (zSeries z9BC) and try to do the "Load
> from CD/DVD" operation I get:
>
> ""An error has occurred while trying to obtain a list of the software
> that can be loaded."
>

> I am not sure if this is an HMC or a Debian message.  It has a message
> number of ACT36201 but I cannot find a reference to that message.
>

> Does anyone have an idea what I have done wrong?
>

> Thanks,   ..........Larry
>

> Larry D. Martin
>
> Mainframe Systems Support
>
> Office of Information Technology and Communications
>
> 301.883.7335

>... This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Prince George’s
> County Government or Prince George's County 7th Judicial Circuit Court
> proprietary information, which is privileged and confidential. This E-mail
> is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is
> addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this E-mail, you are
> hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or action
> taken in relation to the contents of and attachments to this E-mail is
> strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this E-mail
> in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the
> original and any copy of this E-mail and any printout.

That looks like an IBM style error message to me - Linux does not tend to
go in for message numbers.

I would guess that what you need to do is boot from the CD rather than
Load from it.  You may find the best thing to do is to ask on the Linux-390
list ( LINUX-390@vm.marist.edu ) as that is where most of the Linux 390
experts are to be found.

David