Ext4dev vs. Ext4

Besides the name, what's the difference between ext4dev and ext4?

I'm curious because I'm planning to format a 1TB disk as ext4. It
appears that the e2fs tools already have support for ext4 (with and
without -"dev"). The problem is the latest Debian Linux image
(2.6.26.x) has support only for ext4dev.

So the only way I can use an ext4 filesystem right now is to format
the hard disk as ext4dev and mount it as ext4dev. Will a subsequent
kernel upgrade with support for plain ext4 allow me to mount the
ext4dev-formatted disk as ext4?

P.S. My last post.