Re: OT: Looking for free email service with disposable email addresses

Michael Pobega wrote:

Well, are there any good alternatives to Gmail? I can't really afford to
purchase mail space, or a web host, so I'm kinda stuck to free services.

If it's IMAP you're after AOL - don't laugh, I'm serious and GMX. I'd probably recommend AOL though.

Both support.

IMAP with FOLDERS not labels
SSL/TLS for IMAP  and SMTP
Server side filtering
Creation of folders and subfolders in the IMAP directory
Folder subscriptions

GMX has 5GB of storage, AOL's is unlimited.

There are several caveats though.

GMX's only real caveat is their SMTP server only allows you to send 10 e-mails an hour for 'spam' reasons. You can work around this by verifying a GMX address with Gmail and using gmail's smtp server. This stops e-mails from failing SPF and sender ID tests. GMX's webmail interface is an acquired taste but it's got loads of good features. If it wasn't for the SMTP limit at GMX I'd be recommending them to everybody.

AOL:

-server side filtering never really works, I use client side filtering. It's a pain but AOL's IMAP server is pretty responsive. -AOL's webmail is poor and only uses SSL for the sign-in not the webmail session itself
-AOL's webmail doesn't display sub folders properly
-no forwarding if you switch to another provider.

So you make up your own mind.

Personally I already have a free account with VFEmail. It's quite limited but for a reasonable one time payment you get some decent features. I'm thinking of taking the plunge and upgrading to use it as my main account. It's all built on FLOSS and has some pretty powerful webmail and IMAP functionality. Also the guy than runs it uses Debian for some of his servers and Sid for his desktop!

Ananda