Re: Electricity Cutoffs, EXT3 and Filesystems

On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 9:39 AM, Volkan YAZICI <yazicivo@ttmail.com> wrote:
> This year I'm obligated to administrate extra ~5 production servers and
> as a result of major GNU/Linux headquarters moving from ReiserFS to
> EXT3, I started to use EXT3 in those new servers. But unfortunately,
> after every electricity cutoff[1], EXT3 just crashes and waits prompt
> from me standing at boot.

Do you mean that "fsck.ext3 -p" fails and forces you to run it
manually?   That's not the same as a crash.

>  I start the servers with Knoppix (Gee!) and
> run e2fsck on every single partition. (Keep on imagining this PITA!) No,
> pressing `Y' to run a fsck on the partitions doesn't work. I tried my
> luck with XFS, but it resulted same as EXT3.

I'm really really surprised by this since I had thought that fsck.xfs
was a no-op.  But then I don't know for sure since I only use it on
two filesystems; the other 30 or so are ext3.

> [1] Yes, we have couples of UPS boxes around, but they are not capable
>    of standing the load for many hours.

You're doing it wrong :)

You should arrange for your systems to be cleanly shut down (with, for
example, shutdown) before the UPS runs out of power.   There even
exists software for some UPS types that allows you to defer the
shutdown until the UPS is running log (instead of doing the shutdown
as soon as you know the power has gone out).

James.