Re: Switching from Etch to Lenny - help me assess the risk.

On Fri November 7 2008 08:15:53 am Ramasubramanian Ramesh wrote:
> All,
>
>   I run Etch+backports at my home gateway/file server. Lately, I find
> that many packages are too old in Etch for my needs. I am thinking of
> switching to Lenny. While Lenny is not as stable as Etch, I am not sure
> how much difference there is, in terms of stability. I am not worried
> about a couple of packages breaking here and there  and X not firing up
> occasionally. I am only worried about complete breakdown like down time
> on this server. So here are my quesitons

I always run testing and always find it stable for my needs. It is testing
though, and stuff can happen. If your environment is mission critical you are
best off with etch I'd say.

> Does Lenny breakdown occasionally completely?

I have never seen this.

> I mean you cannot boot after apt-get update.

I don't think so, but the upgrade from etch to lenny likely hasn't seen much
testing yet.

> Will it cause major data corruption due to its instability?

I doubt it.

> Will it have broken kernel?

The kernel is running fine.

> Will my NAT and  firewall completely fail?
> Will my samba+cifs+nfs service breakdown or cause data corruption?

I doubt it. I only use nfs here but it is working well.

> Finally, if I decide to switch, do I do a apt-get dist-upgrade or just
> apt-get upgrade. What is the difference?

I have always done dist-upgrade first, but I havn't done that in a long time,
I forget why now. You may need to run upgrade as well after dist-upgrade is
done.

I think lenny will be released soon, can you wait?

I never wait.. but maybe you don't want to live like I do.. ;)