Re: How do I install older software versions?

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 01:41:59AM +0200, Aniruddha wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-09-28 at 08:25 +0900, Osamu Aoki wrote:
>
> > The recent snapshots are behind firewall of the owner :-)
> >
> > It should be back sometime.  That was anyway one man efforts...
> Sorry, I don't understand what you mean.

I do not either.  I should have written it as:

It should come back to be accessible state in some future time.

> > > I also tried Debian snapshot, but this site provided me only with very
> > > old versions (stable?) and nothing from the testing branch. Moreover I'm
> > > looking for an officially supported way to install older versions.
> >
> > Due to storage requirements, we drop them reatively quickly.
> We is Debian snapshot? Or Debian mirrors?

Official Debian archive such as ftp-master and "Debian mirrors"

> > My question is why bother to make your system as old testing.  If this
> > is to make it compatible with non-free binary program, I suggest you to
> > run stable system with some backports.  This way, you have stable but new
> > application.
>
> I choose testing because I want a "rolling update" system (just like
> Gentoo and Arch). I want to keep all my packages up to date ;)

Then update your system with the latest packages.
If you still want to keep old packages, look into
/var/cache/apt/archives.

> > See http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch03.en.html
>
> Domo arigatoo! This link (your reference book) provides very useful
> information ^^.

Geen probleem :-)