Re: cedilla on a us_intl keyboard

On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 23:32:07 +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 09:09:11AM -0400, Hugh Lawson wrote:
> > Put this entry into /etc/environment
> >
> >         LANG="en_US.iso885915"
> >
> > With this setting, on my system, the 'locale' command produces this
> > output:
> >
> > LANG=en_US.iso885915
> > LC_CTYPE="en_US.iso885915"
> > LC_NUMERIC="en_US.iso885915"
> > LC_TIME="en_US.iso885915"
> > LC_COLLATE="en_US.iso885915"
> > LC_MONETARY="en_US.iso885915"
> > LC_MESSAGES="en_US.iso885915"
> > LC_PAPER="en_US.iso885915"
> > LC_NAME="en_US.iso885915"
> > LC_ADDRESS="en_US.iso885915"
> > LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.iso885915"
> > LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.iso885915"
> > LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.iso885915"
> > LC_ALL=
>
> I think the canonical way to set the locale is
> 'dpkg-reconfigure locales'
>
> Do you have to put that setting in /etc/environment?

AFAIK, /etc/environment is deprecated. If you choose to set up a
system-wide default setting with "dpkg-reconfigure locales" (the last
dialog option) then it will be saved in /etc/default/locale. You can
change this file afterwards, but you should only set locales that have
been generated on your system.

To have user-specific settings, you can export the corresponding
environmental variables in the startup scripts of your $SHELL and/or
desktop environment.

          Florian   |