Re: Problem on running aptitude/apt-get upgrade (SOLVED)

--- Chris Bannister <mockingbird@earthlight.co.nz> wrote:

- snip -
> > Hi Daniel,
> >

> > I got my problem fixed by manually editing the file as advised.
> Then
> > rebooted PC.  It is working normally now.  Thanks.
> >

> > I don't know how the problem happens.  I ran the net_install CD
> > installing Debian Etch i386 downloading files on a mirror site.
> This
> > is the 3rd round.  On 1st and 2nd rounds after downloading all
> relevent
> > files and starting installation PC hung.  If the 3rd fails again
> I'm
> > compelled to download the DVD installer.
>
> I would start suspecting the computer itself, grab a Knoppix Live CD
> and
> boot off that - run memtest and generally give the computer a
> workout.
>
> If that is all ok, then post back here with details of where it
> hangs,
> etc.
>
> --
> Chris.

Hi Chris,

The Host - Debian Etch is now running w/o problem.  Just finished
running >13 hour memtest on the PC.  No error found.  The results is as
follow;

Memtest86 v1.64			| Pass 18% #######
Athlon 64 X2 2009 MHZ		| Test 6% ##
L1 Cache: 128K 16469MB/s	| Test #7 [Random number sequency]
L2 Cache: 512K  3924MB/s	| Testing: 108K - 3583M 4095M
Memory : 4095M  3139MB/s	| Pattern: fdd43037
Chipset: AMD 8000 (ECC : Disabled)
Settings: RAM:167 MHZ (DDR334) / CAS:7-4-7 / Dual Channel (128 bits)

WallTime  Cached  RsvdMem   MemMap   Cache  ECC  Test  Pass  Errors
ECC  Errs
13:34:33   4095M      84M  e820-Std    on   off  Std   9         0

B.R.
Stephen L