Missing /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer

I've spent all day Googling this with no suggestions that seemed to
work.

I upgraded from sarge to etch (2.6.18-6) and cannot get udev to create
/dev/dsp or /dev/mixer. If I "cp -a /dev/.static/dev/dsp* /dev",
everything works fine until I reboot and then they are gone again.

/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base seems to do the modprobe on snd-pcm-oss as
everyone has suggested. Snd_pcc_oss is listed in /proc/modules.

I have tried installing the oss-compat package with no change.

If I "/etc/init.d/udev stop", then wait a few seconds and do
"/etc/init.d/udev start", they will then appear
However, "/etc/init.d/udev restart" will not.

Jim Evans