Re: udev and kernel (testing)

On 08/21/2008 06:44 PM, Glenn Becker wrote:

Hello all -

I am running a testing box. Recently (end of last week, maybe?) I did an update, & one of the packages that -wanted- to update was udev; however, later in the installation process I was dumped to a debconf screen that indicated the new udev would be incompatible with the kernel I was running, & that I needed to upgrade the kernel (to 2.6.18 or newer) first or risk rendering the system unusable.

 =-O

I left the answer to the "upgrade anyway?" question on that screen at "no", and the update pretty much bailed at that point.

Good idea.

So for a few days now I have put a "hold" on udev via aptitude,

Another smart move.

since I don't see a newer kernel available ... I guess I'm wondering whether I would be wise to try rolling my own. I did it once, but it was a long time ago. Mainly I'm curious why a newer one hasn't shown up (perhaps it's me doing something stupid - I'm always open to that option!). Maybe on the other hand I should just leave the hold on udev?
[...]

I'm very confused. Can you post your sources.list? I'm most sure that, if you run Debian testing (Lenny), you have access to 2.6.24 (and possibly later kernels). Anyway, Etch, which is older than Lenny, has 2.6.18, so you can't be running a recently updated (< 1yr.) testing distribution without having at least 2.6.18.

Also, please post the exact output of your package manager when you attempt to upgrade. Use the --simulate option to do this safely.