Re: DMA is turned off on my HDD

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 20:03:00 +0300, Anton Liaukevich (anthonyl@uvaga.by) wrote:

> Bob Cox wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 14:48:22 +0300, Anton Liaukevich
>> (anthonyl@uvaga.by) wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>>> I had scanned my hdd with native WD scanner and hadn't detected any
>>> error. Memory scan (memtest86+) also hadn't detected any error.
>>> Moreover, Windows XP on another partition of this hdd working
>>> normally  and HDD Health program on it (for S.M.A.R.T viewing) don't
>>> predict  T.E.C. in the near future. Also after previous installation
>>> of Debian  lenny my hdd was working fast.
>>
>> When you are running Windows XP, is DMA definitely enabled then?
>>
> I has run Windows XP and has been convinced of DMA to be enabled. My hdd
> WD1200JB-00EVA0 was running at UDMA5 (ATA100) and cdrom Sony CRX320E at
> UDMA2 (ATA33).

[ PLEASE reply to the list and not directly to me.  Thank you ]

Ok well if you are sure about this then at least we know it is not a
hardware (jumpers, cable, connectors) problem.

With my WD IDE drive:

bob@trantor:~$ dmesg | grep -i dma
  DMA             0 ->     4096
  DMA zone: 32 pages used for memmap
  DMA zone: 0 pages reserved
  DMA zone: 4064 pages, LIFO batch:0
atp870u: use 32bit DMA mask.
NFORCE2: 0000:00:09.0 (rev a2) UDMA133 controller
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xf000-0xf007, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:DMA
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xf008-0xf00f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:DMA
hda: UDMA/100 mode selected
hdc: UDMA/66 mode selected
hdd: UDMA/66 mode selected
parport0: PC-style at 0x378 (0x778), irq 7, dma 3
[PCSPP,TRISTATE,COMPAT,EPP,ECP,DMA]

bob@trantor:~$ readlink /sys/block/hda/device/driver
../../../../../bus/ide/drivers/ide-disk

bob@trantor:~$ lsmod | grep ^ide
ide_cd                 36224  0
ide_disk               15648  8
ide_core              108292  4 ide_cd,ide_disk,amd74xx,generic

Not sure if any of that is of help, but perhaps you could show us the
output of dmesg | grep -i dma

--
Bob Cox.  Stoke Gifford, near Bristol, UK.