Re: Using apt to install only one package

On Mon,14.Jul.08, 20:15:45, andy wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am running Lenny/Testing and with the recent package updates a new set
> of kernel headers was installed which has completely screwed my nVidia
> driver settings. I had to reboot into 2-6-24 rather than the 2-6-25 in
> order to get GDM to work.

This I don't understand. AFAIK the headers are used only when compiling,
how could updating them screw with nvidia driver *settings*? Maybe some
other packages were upgraded as well?

> When I went to change the sources list to enable me access the
> appropriate nVidia driver from the Sid repositories using apt, there
> were any number of packages that apt wanted to install as well,
> alongside the nVidia.

Of course. Apt will always want to install the newest package, but
according to priority, see below.

> What is the correct syntax to ensure that when I am wanting to install
> the nVidia driver from Sid I limit it to *only* the package(s) I am
> seeking rather than everything else that apt wants me to install? I've
> spent the last 1/2 hour or Googling this and I can't find an answer.
> Perhaps my search string is incorrect, but even so if anyone is able to
> assist me, that would be great.

Add a line like this:

APT::Default-Release "testing";

to your /etc/apt/apt.conf. If the file doesn't exist you can create it.
The you can use 'aptitude install -t my_sid_package' to install a
package from sid, but also any required dependencies.

You can check the setting works by running 'apt-cache policy'. You
should get priority 990 for testing and 500 for unstable.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)