Re: project: wired/wireless router

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 12:26:28AM +0100, Sam Kuper wrote:
> Greg,
>
> I can confirm that the Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 is very stable under OpenWRT White
> Russian, which gives you (yet) another option if you go down the path of
> buying a new router/AP device.
>
> Alternatively, if you're set on using your existing box as your router/AP,
> why not use a USB Wi-Fi device if you're going to be occupying the sole PCI
> slot with an ethernet card? USB Wi-Fi dongles are often cheaper than
> Ethernet ones. (NB. If I've failed to notice that your box doesn't have USB,
> then please disregard this comment.)

I just wanted to report on the hardware I decided on. I couldn't find a
well-supported USB WiFi dongle, especially one that was a reasonable price
and showed any prayer of being able to work as an AP. I also realized I
already had a USB wired dongle lying around from an old TiVo (now replaced
with a TiVo that has builtin ethernet). So now I'm purchasing a Netgear
Super G PCI card (WG311TNA), which is supported by madwifi as an AP. The
USB dongle is, regrettably, USB 1.1, but since it will be connected to the
cable modem (which only provides around 3Mb bandwidth), it should be fine.

Once I have the hardware, it's just a matter of figuring out how to set up
the iptables for NAT routing and appropriate firewalling. Actually, since I
don't have wireless needs at the moment, I can start working on it this
weekend even before I receive the wireless card, assuming I have sufficient
hubs (which I might).

> Sam
--Greg