Re: OT: Laptop for College Bound Student?

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 02:07:14PM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 12:24 -0500, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
>
> > But does the modem work?
>
> What modem?  "Winmodems" aren't modems, they're sound boards with the
> wrong audio connector.

This is not exactly correct. Both a sound card and a host-based modem
share many of their components. Latest motherboards have a separate
connector for them:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio/modem_riser

Still, while the signal processing may be similar, you do need some
different analog/digital components and circuits.

I'm also not aware of any free software implementation of a modem. This
area is generally a patent minefield.