Re: Assumed bug in Debian Sid: monitor cannot be reconfigured with dpkg-reconfigure

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 04:00:30PM +0200, Uwe Bugla <uwe.bugla@gmx.de> was heard to say:
> I am running the latest Debian Lenny / Sid combination and wanted to adjust a
> workstation to another monitor.
>
> Traditionallly that works by the following command:
> dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg.
>
> If I run that command, the script ends up with the question whether to emulate
> a 3-button mouse or not.

  This may be a dumb question, but does the monitor work afterwards?  I
ask because IIRC, the new version of xorg is supposed to be magically
auto-configuring and not need dpkg-reconfiguring to detect the current
hardware.  I haven't had the nerve to try this, but you can force it to
ignore any old configuration you have by renaming your xorg.conf and
perhaps running dpkg-reconfigure.

  For more information, read here:

http://gravityboy.livejournal.com/40620.html

  Daniel