Re: [Kind of OT] Why's this look like gibberish to me?

s. keeling wrote:
> Why would I be _for_ switching?  I'm a unilingual Anglophile.  utf-8
> would gain me nothing.  I'm glad utf-8 (et al) finally exists for
> those of you who who can use it or need it.  However, it's irrelevant
> here.  I only know English, and can puzzle out some words in other
> related western European languages.

My native spoken language is American English.  (Saying it that way
because lately I more typically interact with computers via the
keyboard using the C and Ruby and POSIX shell languages.  :-)

But I prefer UTF-8.  Why?  Because typeset English != US-ASCII.  For
example in written English one may use left and right quotation marks.
These are not available in the us-ascii encoding.  Additionally in the
English business world there is a high rate of occurrance of trademark
symbols and copyright symbols and other characters not present in
us-ascii.  All of those work very well with UTF-8.

As an English only speaker I get great benefit from UTF-8.

Bob