Re: /dev/null > /dev/sdb1 !

Bob McGowan wrote:

> In any case, see below...
>
>> Low-level used to need to be done for some reasons, such as to adjust
>> the sector interleave, or to switch the drive to a different physical
>> orientation (required with stepper motor head positioning).  It is no
>> longer required to do it more than once, and it is always done at the
>> factory.
>
> I am not aware of any other kind of formatting, either.  So, some
> excerpts from the Readme.txt file that came with the "PowerMax" utility
> I downloaded in November of 2005.

I stand corrected. Of course, I was informing everyone of something which I have read multiple times, in various places. I am not a hard drive designer, or other kind of expert of that sort. I believe it to be current fact, but I have no first-hand knowledge of it.

> Begin quoted text excerpts:
>
> Subject:  Using Maxtor's Power Diagnostic (POWERMAX.EXE) Utilities
>           (PowerMax v 4.XXX)

>   6.    The best test for a drive with intermittent problems is a 'low
>         level' format routine.  !! Warning !! This test will erase all
>         your data, but the drive will be restored to a 'factory
>         re-certified' condition.  Be sure to make a full backup of all
>         critical data before proceeding.  If your computer has more than
>         one hard drive, be sure to choose the correct drive. If a drive
>         fails this test, it usually indicates a drive failure.

It does say "'low level' format". I recall seeing this before, now that it is brought to my attention. I had a Maxtor drive that failed, and ran the same utility. It was under warranty, and was replaced...

> Overview of tests using POWERMAX.EXE:
>
> PowerMax is a keyboard menu driven diagnostic. Choices and options are
> displayed at the bottom of the screen. Further instructions are
> displayed at the bottom of the popup window display when a test completes.
>
> Available Tests:
>
>     1.  Installation Confirmation
>     2.  Basic Quick (90 Second) Test
>     3.  Advanced Test (Full Scan Test)
>     4.  Burn In Test
>     5.  Low Level Format (Quick)
>     6.  Low Level format  (Full)
>
> Low Level Format, Quick or Full Test:
>
> !! Warning!!  These tests are data destructive, all user information on
> the hard drive is removed. Maxtor recommends you backup all critical
> data and remove other hard drives before performing this test. Perform
> this test only if all other tests have passed (or by direction of Maxtor
> Technical Support) but the hard drive is still not performing correctly.
>  The quick option is most useful for removing a computer virus, or you
> are rebuilding the information on your hard drive,  and you need a quick
> erase of the operating system without taking the time involved to
> perform a full LLF. The quick LLF overwrites a pattern of zeros to the
> first 300 megabytes, and the last 100 megabytes of the drive. The full
> LLF overwrites a pattern of zeros to all sectors on the drive.  High
> capacity hard drives take longer to complete. Allow sufficient time to
> complete the test.  Several hours to overnight may be needed.  A full
> Low Level Format remains the most effective test for a drive with
> intermittent problems.
>
> End quotation section.

I wonder just what the test is really doing, if all IDE drives since the early '90s are not capable of low level formatting, as I have been led to believe?

> I was quoting, from memory, this information.  I do admit to
> generalizing it to include other makes of drives, which it appears was
> an invalid generalization, based on your information.

Well, as I said, I do not have first-hand experience with it. I have read many times that low-level formatting is done by special equipment at the factory. I suppose I should do some Googling, and read some more on the subject, to be properly informed.

Thanks for reminding me about the Maxtor disk checker utility.

--
Mark Allums