Re: dpkg unable to write to /var/lib/dpkg/status, /var partition full

On 20/04/2008, Kyle Barbour <kylebarbour@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello there,
>
>  I booted up my system this morning and tried to install something with
>  aptitude, only to get the error message:
>
>  W: Could not lock the cache file.  Opening in read-only mode; any
>  changes you make to the states of packages will NOT be preserved!
>  E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a'
>  to correct the problem.
>
>  So, I tried running dpkg --configure -a, which gave me:
>
>  dpkg: failed to write status record about `vlc-nox' to
>  `/var/lib/dpkg/status': No space left on device
>
>  I ran df, and I found that my /var partition is entirely full (1.9 GB
>  of 1.9 GB). I don't know why - last night I ran 'aptitude
>  safe-upgrade', maybe that has something to do with it? I'm not sure
>  how to fix this problem - I'm assuming that I should pare down some
>  files, but I'm not sure which ones or how to prevent this from
>  happening again. Any thoughts?
>
>  Thanks for the help,
>  Kyle Barbour

I had this problem recently, if I remember right the file at
/var/log/user.log.0 had grown huge (6GB+) - I don't know if this was
the right thing to do but I just deleted it (it reappeared soon after
but has stayed a far more reasonable size - currently 18.kb).

Peter