Re: etch netinst tasksel "standard system" (was Re: RAID1 Boot Partition)

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 09:22:21AM +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 03:59:27PM -0800, Ken Irving wrote:
>
> > The search subcommand can be used to list those packages:
> >
> >   aptitude search ~pstandard ~prequired ~pimportant
> >
> > though it's still not clear what is really added in this step, since
> > some of the packages were presumably installed during part of the
> > base install.   I might do another install without this option and
> > see what the difference is...
>
> It seems to that a base install includes 'required' and 'important',
> while 'standard' will add packages that are considered, well, standard
> on a *nix system, but won't make it unusable if missing (e.g.  bc,
> openbsd-inetd, ...)

That sounds plausible, but how do you know that?  I was curious since
the "standard system" option apparently is new in the etch installer,
and previously I was used to not selecting anything from the tasksel
dialog.  Anyway, brute experimentation shows the following 73 packages
are installed iff the "standard system" option is selected:

    at                  libidn11         perl-modules
    bc                  libisc11         pidentd
    bind9-host          libkrb53         policycoreutils
    dc                  liblockfile1     portmap
    dictionaries-common liblwres9        procmail
    dnsutils            libmagic1        python
    doc-debian          libnfsidmap2     python-central
    doc-linux-text      libpcre3         python-minimal
    exim4               librpcsecgss3    python-newt
    exim4-base          libsemanage1     python-selinux
    exim4-config        libtasn1-3-bin   python-semanage
    exim4-daemon-light  lsof             python-support
    file                m4               reportbug
    finger              mailx            selinux-policy-refpolicy-target
    ftp                 mime-support     sharutils
    gettext-base        mpack            strace
    iamerican           mtools           tcsh
    ibritish            mtr-tiny         telnet
    ispell              mutt             texinfo
    less                ncurses-term     time
    libbind9-0          nfs-common       w3m
    libdns22            openssh-client   wamerican
    libevent1           patch            whois
    libgc1c2            pciutils
    libgpmg1            perl

I think this looks like the what you'd get with a minimal install in
previous debian stables.  It's nice to have the option for an even
minimaler minimal install now.

Ken

--
Ken Irving, fnkci+debianuser@uaf.edu