Re: Modem in Debian

A. F. Cano wrote:
On Sun, Feb 03, 2008 at 04:14:16PM -0500, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
On Sun, Feb 03, 2008 at 08:16:57PM +0000, Pantor wrote:
there is a modem plugged to PCI slot and no idea what to do with it.
Any suggestions, advices, please.
Use it to dialup into the internet like real people :)

Or, like I do, assuming it's a voice modem, configure it as an
answering machine.  I use mgetty/vgetty.  You can even run
asterisk and have a voice mail system like businesses do.

In my case, when I get an answering machine message, it gets encoded
and sent to my local mailbox.  I read it with mutt and hear the
message like any multi-media email message.  Then I delete it or
save it like any email message.
Or provide yourself with a fax facility.
Regards,

David Palmer.