Re: Latest kernel security update wont boot

On 13 Dec 2007 10:38:00 -0500
Marc Auslander <marcslists@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am running etch on a Dell with ide drives, using LILO
>
> I just used aptitude to install the latest security update to the
> 2.6.18 kernel, 2.6.18.dfsg.1-13etch5
>
> The install produced a message about the fact that it was updating the
> running kernel and I should reboot right away - which I did.
>
> Reboot failed with kernel panic which was something like:
>
> VFS - cannot open root device "302" or block 302 not found (this is
> approximate).
>
> I tried root=/dev/hda2, and root=/dev/ide/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 -
> neither worked.
>
> I copied a backup of my old 2.6.18 kernel and initrd.img as another
> kernel image and ran lilo, all from the rescue cd.
>
> I booted the old system successfully.  I then ran a reinstall of the
> kernel under aptitude, but it still won't boot.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Have my devices been somehow renumbered here? If so, how do I figure
> out what the new numbering is?
>
> Any other possibilities?

Probably a stupid question, but still worth asking: when you saw the
message that you should reboot the machine after the new kernel is
installed, did you hit the tab key to highlight the "OK" at the bottom
of the message, then hit enter, or did you just reboot straight away
without doing so? There is still stuff to do with the kernel
installation after that message is displayed, so you should of hit the
"OK" instead of immediately rebooting. If you followed the procedure
correctly, then sorry if I've wasted your time, but thought it worth
asking.

Graham