Re: Network (LAN) 'lost'

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 16:11:57 +0100, Benjamin Schmidt wrote:

> If you have udev installed and it recognizes a ethernet adapter with a
> unknown mac address, it will assign a new eth*-reference. So maybe you
> used a mac changer or some updates deletes a udev specific file. I don't
> know.
>
> The configuration file you need, is:
> /etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent-net.rules
>
> delete the entry with "eth0" and rename the other entry from eth2 to
> eth0. Ok, now reboot (or only restart udev, don't know) and you will
> have eth0 again.

Somewhat true. Lightning struck and killed the other, same type, NIC. I
had shut down and plugged a new one.
I wonder how anyone can *not* call this behaviour silly && buggy. :(

Thanks anyway,

Uwe,
deeply disappointed by a stupid crap like this udev behaviour.

Who would ever dare to talk about acceptance of Linux as desktop with such
useless stuff ?