Re: How Linux becomes Windows

Sam Leon writes:
> HAL and udev have been standard in all desktops for awhile now.

I don't see how you can say that either is part of any desktop, though
kdebase depends on HAL (gnome-core depends on neither).  Your system will
work fine without either (as will X).  If he removes udev he will have to
do some stuff by hand, but he seems to want that.

> If you truly hate hal maybe you can just not install any desktop and just
> do all your computing through the console.

X is quite useable without any "desktop" and certainly does not require
HAL.  Are you confounding "desktop" and "window mamager"?
--
John Hasler