Re: person playing wesnoth as root

On Thu, Dec 06, 2007 at 09:56:59AM -0500, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> I don't have previous threads stored on my box, so I can't link this
> into the right thread.
>
> There was a thread in the last few days from someone who felt that they
> need to run the westnoth game as root to access some kind of
> framebuffer.
>
> As a concrete example of why this should be avoided, I note today's
> security announcement on the game that there is a bug which allows an
> attacker to read any file to which the user running the game has access.
>
> Some attacker could have read the shadow-password file (heh, the whole
> /etc), crack all the passwords, and just be waiting for ssh to open port
> 22.  Pubkey wouldn't help since they'd also have read your ~/.ssh/
>
> Doug.

I figured out my problem and fixed it actually, and I stopped running
everything through sudo. The only things I use sudo for now is iptables,
halt and reboot (So that I don't have to type a password just to use
those).

Thanks for the heads up though, very much appreciated.

--
If programmers deserve to be rewarded for creating innovative
programs, by the same token they deserve to be punished if they