Re: apt-get failing

On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 10:05:32AM -0700, justsimplequestions wrote:
> On Oct 31, 4:00 pm, Andrew Sackville-West
> <and...@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 03:17:24AM -0700, justsimplequestions wrote:
> > > Hello,
> >
> > > I am trying to install some new software as well as updating my
> > > packages but apt-get install and apt-get update both fail. apt-get
> > > update fails with:
> >
> > > Errhttp://security.debian.orgetch/updates Release.gpg
> > >   Temporary failure resolving âsecurity.debian.orgâ
...apt errors

> > > My /apt/sources.list file is as follows:
> >
> > > debhttp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/etch main
> > > deb-srchttp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/etch main
> > > debhttp://security.debian.org/etch/updates main
> > > deb-srchttp://security.debian.org/etch/updates main
> > > debhttp://download.webmin.com/download/repositorysarge contrib
> > > debhttp://packages.dotdeb.orgstable all
> > > deb-srchttp://packages.dotdeb.orgstable all
> >
> > > I am able to ping external websites using both ip and name, The
> >
> > great that you can ping external websites, but can you ping the debian
> > servers? those are the ones that count here ;)  Also there are some
> > funky characters and missing characters in your apt output above. Is
> > that transcription error? or something else?
>
> Thanks very much for replying. Could not ping the debian servers! I've
> entered the ip address for the debian sites in the hosts an voila!
> However, those are funky characters above... they worried me as well
> and am not sure how and why they appear like that.

so you've got a name resolution problem. I'm betting that your
sources.list is not properly encoded somehow. try creating a new one
from scratch and see what happens. no copy and paste! retype it in a
basic text editor like vim, or in a small operating system like emacs.

The funky characters are the clue I'm looking at there...