Re: Spring clean

On Sat, Sep 29, 2007 at 06:18:41PM +0100, andy wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Even though it is now approaching fall/autumn (in the northern hemisphere
> anyway), I am wanting to do some spring cleaning of my hard drive. In my
> enthusiasm for Debian's apt-get I have gorged myself on a load of packages
> that I probably don't need. One example is multiple language versions of
> OOo, but there are likely others too.
>
> Can someone recommend a newbie-friendly easy, and safe way of cleaning
> house so that I can retain those packages that I need (and want) but can
> clear out the dust bunnies, etc..?

I do my housekeeping in aptitude interactive mode, with a flat package
list (this is my default, but you can get one from the menu) where I
mark everything as auto-installed (press M) that I don't specifically
want. It might take a while, but aptitude will then remove all
unnecessary stuff.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)