Re: OT: Choice of OOo and LaTeX (Was: Tool for document management)

On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 05:27:02PM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
>     Good thing that what I'm writing is not at all complex.  The two most
> complex things are italics and indent-first-line.
[...]
>     Am I writing a book?  Yes.
>
>     Am I writing a technical book?  No!
>
>     I am writing fiction.  I have no in-line graphics, complex font changes
> for examples, silly little icons to denote special sections, massive
> indention or the like.  This is strictly line-after-line prose which
> could be done plain text except for the fact that I am making use of
> italics as a conscious style choice to reinforce when a character is
> /'thinking'/ something versus "saying" something.

I know you've settled on OOo, but it's worth pointing out that TeX is
a simple language if you're writing a simple document.  In particular
you are already writing valid plain TeX in your email.  Copy the above
(without the >'s) into file.txt; change /'thinking'/ to {\it thinking}
and "saying" to ``saying''; type "pdftex file.txt" and "\end".
file.pdf looks like http://sns.phys.utk.edu/~mahurin/du/09-25.pdf,
which I think is what you're after.

Good luck with your writing.

Rob