Re: Up-to-date Gnome versions?

On Fri, Sep 21, 2007 at 07:39:20AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 09/21/07 00:43, Miles Bader wrote:
> > Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:
> >> The archives are replete with very valid reasons why people don't
> >> trust aptitude.
> >
> > Not really.  A lot of vague rumors flying about though.
>
> Vague rumors to you, first-hand experience to me.

I know you, and many others, have had trouble with aptitude, but I
feel its important to point out that aptitude does what one tells it
too. Now, one may be unintentionally telling it to do something one
doesn't want, but that is another issue. Aptitude appears, to me, to
have much more sophisticated behavior than apt-get, and that behavior
may appear cryptic if not downright intentionally destructive but that behavior
*is* predictable, knowable and can be altered to fit the
circumstance. It's, more often than not, I think, a matter of learning
a different tool and understanding what it does.

Thankfully, we have choice in the matter and can use the
package-manager of choice. :)