Re: rescue floppies

On Wed, Sep 19, 2007 at 06:43:22AM -0700, harland christofferson wrote:
> i'll take your advice and have rescue floppies at the
> ready.
>
> it has been a very long time, since potato, since i
> have used rescue disks.
>
> can i make them from my machine? i don't have a cdrom
> connected to this machine so i need floppies.
>
> i found images on the debian site but they were for
> woody ... i am running sarge.
>
> suggestions?

There's the rub.  I was never actually able to get Sarge's installer to
work.  I always had to install Woody and do an immediate upgrade.  Woody
had boot floppies but I don't think they could do raid.  Etch does have
a rescue mode/shell and can do raid straight from the installer.

_If_ Etch's installer would work, and the box can boot from USB, you can
use the USB hd-media install method and put the netinst.iso file on the
USB stick.  See the installatio manual.

I would read the installatio manual in any case, since if something goes
wrong, you will be reinstalling.  In that case, better to reinstall
Etch.  You can set up raid right from the installer.

Doug.