I hate Alsa [Solved]

Further to my previous posting I have, at last, got sound recording
from a microphone working properly again.

I don't, however, dislike Alsa any less because I don't know exactly
what I did to put it right.

I had already run alsaconf twice before posting but tried it again for
a third time. There was no indication of any change. I then ran
alsamixergui and tried altering the levels of some of the controls.
There are 25 sliders on alsamixergui which gives a very large number of
combinations.

Although the 'Microphone Boost' had no apparent effect in Kmix I tried
it with alsamixergui and that together with a lower setting on the
'digital' slider gave me an acceptable result.

I 'Transferred' those settings to Kmix and it's still working.

USB audio recording still doesn't work at all.

--
Barry Samuels
http://www.beenthere-donethat.org.uk