Re: NMI received, likely on the PCI bus

On Fri, Aug 31, 2007 at 07:22:21PM +0100, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> "NMI received, likely on the PCI bus ..." together with stuff about a
> hardware problem.
>
> In the last couple of days I've received this worrying message during
> re-awakening from suspend to disk. It doesn't seem to happen in ordinary
> booting. I googled for similar messages and found a few  but no very
> clear resolution, although there are some suggestions it could be a
> kernel bug.
>
> I ran memtest86 for 22 hours without errors. I also twice compiled a
> kernel, again without errors.
>
> I'm using a Thinkpad Z61M with Sid, kernel 2.6.20.1-slh-smp-2.
>
> Question: is this a false alarm? If not, what tests to do? The machine
> is still under warranty but I don't know what fault I could report.

Thinkpads have very good advanced diagnostics.  If you don't have
manuals telling you how to access them, check out IBM's website (even a
google site:ibm.com ) using your machine number (the four-digit IBM
number not the sales dept's Z61M.  You should be able to find the
service manual for it which will tell you how to run the advanced
diagnostics.

It is those diagnostics that IBM will run to determine a warranty claim.
The manual tells them which FRUs to swap out until the diagnostics tell
them that the machine is good.

Good luck.

Doug.