Re: bash vs. python scripts - which one is better?

On 08/19/07 14:48, Manon Metten wrote:
> Hi Ron,
>
> On 8/19/07, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
>
> Python + Tcl/Tk should be easier than Python + Gtk.
>

> Thanks.
>

> Even simpler would be bash + dialog or it's GUI companion gtkdialog.
>

> Could you mail me some examples you wrote, please?

I've never had to write any.

Google lists a lot of examples and tutorials, though.  Here are some
that I quickly found by searching for linux+dialog+command.

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/2460
http://www.freeos.com/guides/lsst/
http://www.freeos.com/guides/lsst/ch04sec6.html
http://www.freeos.com/guides/lsst/ch04sec7.html
https://cepserver.tce.edu/pipermail/glugot/2005-August/000393.html
http://www.linux.com/articles/55389
http://ayaz.wordpress.com/2006/08/15/dialog-using-dialog-boxes-to-interact-with-users-on-a-linux-console/

>> I find this much more comfortable than eg. typing:
>>> rx mp3conv.rexx 256kbps ~/mp3/work
>>> Even better: I run this script from within my dir util (DirOpus ==
>>> Konqueror), so I don't have to type anything.
>> Your geek cred just dropped.  Substantially.
>

> Why, just tell me why?

Because you want to point and click instead of run a script.

(Even if it's easier, that doesn't matter.)

> But that's ok.  Really.  Honestly, we won't snicker about you while
>> sipping pretentious and outrageously expensive microbrew.  I swear.
>

> Beware, Big Brother's watching you :-)

:)

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.