videos (Divx and MPEG-2) with nVidia GeForce8600 without nvidia non-free drivers

Hi,
I have my laptop with an nVidia geForce 8600 card.
X launches very well with the included nv driver.
But when playing videos (simple MPEG-2 files or DivX from p2p or
Ogg/Theora files I made with another computer) the player freezes.
When I serached on the Web, the first action would be to install the
drivers of the card (non-free).
But before I would ask if someone has played videos with that kind of
card and just the free driver....

Thank you.