Re: .bash_history deleted

Eduard Bloch, 07/08/07 16:40:

>> Hi Anna.
>>
>> Anna Machens, 08.07.2007 15:48:
>> That’s really odd; I experienced the same thing yesterday. Suddenly
>> there was no
>> history anymore but since then, the file has been growing normally like
>> before.
>
> I have seen this several times in the past, still having no idea how this happens. For a while I suspected bash_completion but I think I saw this also without bash_completion. Finally I am suspecting the filesystem journaling doing weird things, since it it mostly happened after crashes with JFS and XFS, but (almost? not sure) never with Ext3.

I have seen this today too, with my normal user account under X (debian
lenny | kernel 2.6.22.1). I use a crypted ext3 file system.

I worked in Eterm, and suddenly my history of the Eterm session was cut
off (only the last 500 commands | LIMIT of the bash_history is 50.000)
I think that Eterm has overwrite the old history with the cut one,

Sorry my bad English, i hope you understood me.

PJ