Getting wake-on-lan to work in Etch

Hi,

I am trying to get "wake on lan" to work in Etch. I have a motherboard with an onboard NIC which supports wake-on-lan. I have enabled wake-on-lan in the bios. When I poweroff the computer during POST, I am able to remotely wake it, but if I shut it down from Etch, power to the NIC is also being turned off and wake-on-lan does not work. I have edited '/etc/init.d/halt' and removed the '-i' option from the 'halt' command, but the NIC is still being powered down.

If I boot into single user mode (init 1) and call poweroff from there, the NIC is kept alive after the computer is powered down. Another thing I have noticed is that when I issue the 'poweroff' from runlevel 2, the console displays the message "acpi_poweroff called" just before powerdown and the NIC is also powered off. This message does not appear when issuing poweroff from runlevel 1.

How can I configure the system to keep the NIC alive after shutting down from runlevel 2?

Thanks,
Raj Kiran