Re: dist-upgrade problem

Received Sun 08 Jul 2007  7:23pm +1000 from Jonathan Kaye:
> Zach wrote:
>
> > On 7/8/07, Jonathan Kaye <jdkaye10@yahoo.es> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Zach,
> >> It might be a better idea to run aptitude (or apt-get) upgrade rather
> >> than dist-upgrade as a matter of routine. I think you will avoid these
> >> kinds of problems this way.
> >> Cheers,
> >> Jonathan
> >
> > Hi Jonathan,
> >
> > Ok, I'm curious though 1) why it wants to install all the texlive-*
> > packages when I don't even have texlive installed and 2) how i could
> > force it to not install these during the dist-upgrade?
> >
> > Zach
> I think you can mark them as "hold" as in aptitude hold texlive.
> I still don't know why you want to do a dist-upgrade rather than a simple
> upgrade as a matter of routine. Have you tried doing just aptitude upgrade
> and see if it still wants to install texlive? I would use dist-upgrade if I
> were going from Etch to Lenny for example. dist-upgrade is more agressive
> than upgrade about what it chooses to upgrade. Try reading the manual for a
> better description than mine.
> Cheers,
> Jonathan

tetex no longer exists (except historically) and to automatically and seamlessly
transition people to the new TeX (texlive) the tetex packages are
probably empty packages depending on texlive. Thus apt-get is trying
to upgrade you.

Unless you have a specific reason to stay with tetex, might be best to
just go with the flow. My observation is that the transition, left to
apt-get, works just fine.

Regards,
Graham